Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Senior Project

For my senior project I was initially considering doing something involving soccer. However there were very few viable options; I could neither coach a soccer team nor learn a fundamentally new skill. I considered music or an interesting hobby. I already have taken years of violin lessons only to drop it because of my lack of free time. I also find little value in taking up a hobby that has no intrinsic value. Then I thought about learning a skill that would be helpful, such as computer programming. Computer programming is a necessary tool for all engineers – even chemical engineers. It might be helpful to know in advance how to program basic functions rather than have to learn on the spot. 

My brother introduced me to basic computer programming when he added his own program to my laptop. Whenever I opened up my laptop from sleep mode a huge picture of a clown would suddenly appear, which completely freaked me out. My brother, who is all too aware of my irrational dislike of clowns, had asked my aunt, a professional computer programmer, to teach him how to create a basic program that involved pictures of clowns. Despite my initial shock and annoyance directed at my brother, I started thinking about learning how to program.
Specifically, for my Senior Project I will be creating a rudimentary computer program, such as tic tack toe, using the computer programming language basic. It will be a small program but it is important to start with the fundamentals. Although I do not have a lot of knowledge in programming, I have multiple family members and friends of the family that can help me with my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment