Tuesday, August 14, 2012

About Me

Hello, my name is Kathryn.  My family includes my parents, my two younger siblings, Ashley and Cole, and Jazz, my adorable dog. Ashley, who is going to be a freshman at Napa this year, is often thought to be the oldest sibling because she is 4 inches taller than me – the age confusion situation vexes me to no end. Despite our little squabbles when she raids my closet, she is one of my best friends. My energetic 12 year old brother, Cole, spends every waking moment playing sports, when he is not shooting me with his vast collection of Nerf guns. That is saying a lot considering how much time our family devotes to playing sports. This summer, in the course of one week, our family was three different corners of the country because of sports: I was in Chicago for Nationals, my sister in Washington for a lacrosse tournament and my brother was in SoCal for a couple lacrosse games.

Unlike most people who attend Napa High, I was not born in California. Instead I was born thousands of miles away in Boston. I lived in upstate New York for a couple years and then moved to a small town outside of Seattle, Washington, called Bellevue. I moved down to Los Altos, CA when I was nine before finally coming to live in Napa. It was a huge cultural shock when I started school here with its small town atmosphere. It seemed so odd that everybody knew everyone and my friends’ parents all knew each other in high school. There was also a distinct difference in diversity compared to the other places I had lived. In Los Altos, one of my friends, Annika, was the closest thing to a modern day Indian princess. Whenever her father returned from business trips to India, he would buy her real diamond earrings and solid gold rings. I was the first person she had met with natural red hair – it took her a couple of weeks for her to fully comprehend that it naturally came out red.
My main focuses right now are on academics and soccer. I try to take as many AP classes as I can which takes up a huge amount of time. When I’m not doing schoolwork, eating, sleeping or hanging out with friends I am playing soccer. Whether I am juggling in my backyard, going to soccer practice or flying across the country to go to tournaments, I am constantly doing something involving soccer. Earlier this summer my team, Napa United, won State Cup and qualified to go to Nationals in Chicago. We are the first soccer team from Napa to ever win State Cup.
During this next year, I have to decide where I will attend college. However there are two critical components I have to consider: academics and collegiate soccer.  Some of the schools that I am interested in, such as Stanford and Cal, have such amazing soccer programs that a player needs to have national team experience to even be looked at. I have to consider the tradeoff: go to a school with a great chemical engineering program but not play soccer at the school level or go to a school with less prestigious academics and play collegiate soccer.  One thing I know for sure is that my college major is going to be chemical engineering – I enjoy solving logic problems and don’t mind math and science. 
Senior year will be fantastic and I will enjoy getting to know everyone better.

No comments:

Post a Comment