Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Box Man Discussion


1.       I learned that the use of the words “good fortune” and “luck” were used to describe the Box Man despite his meager accommodations. It pointed out the seemingly contradictory scenario that this man could be both lucky and have “blistered legs.”

2.       I wished we talked more about the paragraph right after the thesis. It stated that throughout much of our lives we deny that we are solitary beings. I was curious about how that applied to the Box Man. Had he gone through all the phases described? If most people continually search to avoid feeling alone how come the Box Man had come to accept the nature of human solitude?

3.       In the discussion, I wished I had talked more about the two lonely women in comparison to the Box Man. We discussed how the Box Man was content because he had accepted solidarity but it would have been helpful for me to mention that the women were unhappy because of the discrepancy between their expectations of continual human interaction and the reality of human solitude.

2 comments:

  1. I too wished we had discussed the paragraph after the thesis as well. To answer your question in number 2, I think that the Box Man may have been forced to come to terms with his situation and embrace, and through that discovered that solitude can be a blessing. I agree with you that the women wanted human interaction, and that is how they differed than the Box Man, the author brings up an interesting point by providing the different examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your first point about the contrast between the "lucky" Box Man who has bandaged and blistered legs. I also wish we discussed the comparison between the two women and the Box Man more. I agree that the Box Man founded contentment because he accepted his condition, while the women had not yet learned to accept their own solitude.

    ReplyDelete